Friday, June 29, 2012

13th Anniversary outing....Carmel and Santa Cruz...

We celebrated our anniversary in Carmel, b/c it was close and we loved visiting and seeing the wonderful renown artist work that Carmel is famous for. I should've post the town pic's separately b/c most of these here are of Carmel's Catholic Mission that can be toured close to town. It is famous as being one of the biggest Mission's of Northern California and is still in operation today. Sunday Mass and Catholic school are weekly events. David said, as he past by the school area the familiar smells of his childhood emerged flooding him with his Catholic school days. Pastor Michael O' Connell one of the beloved first Spainish pastors who was involved in the beginnings of this Mission. You can see a coffin bronze statue of him along with his associate who stands over him. I love the historic painting of Spanish arrival upon our California Pacific shores giving us remembrance of the Spanish/Mexican War events. The young woman is a Spanish princess who devoted her life to see this Mission was financed and her parents and family lived on a ranch near by..forgot her name. Below this painting is unmarked graves where a massacre occurred and local Indians(Pomo?) helped the local Mexicans to rebuild there loss and bury their dead. Priestly robes were quite lavished. We heard the old church bell ring while touring through these beautiful gardens. I just love the old iron gate window dressing with over hanging ivy. I took this pic of the school playground, b/c I wanted my children/grandchildren to see what my school playground games designs look like: hopscotch, (we used flat rocks as markers and hop with one foot trying not to step outside the markings (some hopscotch designs had two large squares at the end labeled 9 & 10, and four square (ball game done in with the circle) when I was a kid. Lots of ornate statues of Mary, Christ or Priest and even Vicin Pope visited and bless this place. Beautiful painted arch way within the school buildings reflect Muslims art influence. Beautiful reflection ponds and gardens surround this Mission. Last two pic's are the Catholic golden ornate confession room and bronze basin found within the church's entrance holding holy water for members to use as they enter. 





































No comments:

Post a Comment